Saturday 14 November 2015

healing herbs ~ feverfew.






The leaves of this beautiful flowering perennial have been used since ancient times to cure migraines (as well as many other ailments ~  arthritis, depression and menstrual pain being just a few examples). Feverfew is a potent anti inflammatory and has been known to cure the most debilitating of migraines ~ it was very synchronistic, yet not at all surprising that it crossed my path this morning. Here in the West of Australia we are dipping into the first heat of summer ~ the air is thick and sticky, the breeze wafted warmth rather than cool relief. My body was not accustomed to this sudden change from sweet spring and by afternoon I was lying underneath the fan on the floorboards with a headache thumping in my temples, thinking about the dainty little bunch of feverfew that sat in a jar on my windowsill. Within ten minutes of chewing a bitter leaf from the plant, I kid you not, my head felt completely light and clear, not a trace of pain. I have a tendency to  migraines and headaches, it has lessened considerably since I embraced a plant based diet but I feel unbelievably relieved knowing that I have this magical healing herb to lean on.
Feverfew can be taken fresh as I did (one leaf chewed and swallowed), it is quite bitter however this is not a long lasting taste. Many prefer to dry the herb and either eat it this way or encapsulate it. Making a tincture is another beautiful way to get the full benefits of feverfew. Please do note that any heating will destroy the medicinal properties of the herb.
As a flower essence, the vibrational qualities of feverfew release repressed and 'stuck' energy, bringing our body into balance. It is a deeply calming essence, dissipating nervous energy and anxiety.
Isn't it incredible, that the Earth provides everything that we need to live healthily, happily and peacefully? All you need to do is open your eyes, to the abundance, wisdom and pure magic that surrounds you.

Love,
Erin x

** note ~ beautiful pregnant mamas, unfortunately this herb is not for you, due to its stimulating activity on the womb. If you are pregnant and suffering from migraines or headaches, Mahasirs Mudra is your saviour. I will try to do a post on it soon as it brought me so much relief during pregnancy, but in the meantime a quick search of the internet will provide you with all of the information you require.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Erin. Your an inspiration. I've recently found out I'm pregnant I'm also vegan. Do you have any advice or health pregnant tips you could share with me willow is one healthy Lil Angel X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely one ~ I would definitely say eat the rainbow, as many vibrant, fresh (organic if possible) fruits and veges as possible. A b12 supplement if you don't already and an algal DHA are also great :) all my love and best wishes for your journey into mamahood x

      Delete